Laverty tops the final day of pre-season testing
Michael Laverty has topped the final day of the 2016 MCE Insurance British Superbike pre-season testing. He will head to the first round at Silverstone next week hoping to do the same again on his Tyco BMW.
The rider left it until the very last lap to set the time, pushing four-time champion Shane Byrne down to second, setting a time just 0.044 seconds faster.
Laverty said: 'Really happy with how it went today. It's nice to finish the last pre-season test on the top of the time sheets. Not a lot for it, but bragging rights more than anything! I'm really happy with how the race set up is - we've been struggling a little bit to pull off that one off lap that we'll need in Q3, so I was happy to pull out the fast last lap time at the end of the day.
'We're full of confidence going into round one, the bike is working well, the team is working well and I feel really confident on the bike and with my set up. It's been a good pre-season, we've worked through the program really well and that's going to pay dividends next week!'
There's no rest for the wicked, however. The rider quickly disappeared after the test to catch a flight to help his brother-in-law Chaz Davies in Aragon!
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Official test, Donington Park, combined times:
1. Michael Laverty (Tyco BMW) 1m:29.298s
2. Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.044s
3. Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +0.630s
4. Luke Mossey (Quattro Plant Teccare Kawasaki) +0.634s
5. Jason O'Halloran (Honda Racing) +0.669s
6. Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing) +0.733s
7. Ryuichi Kiyonari (Bennetts Suzuki) +0.864s
8. Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) +1.007s
9. Alastair Seeley (Royal Air Force BMW) +1.069s
10. Danny Buchan (Lloyds British Moto Rapido Ducati) +1.121s
31.03.2016 - Big Ed