How do I cancel my policy?

We are sorry you are thinking of leaving us.

If you have just taken a policy out with us and looking to cancel within your 14 day cooling off period, unless a claim has occurred, you will pay for:

  • The number of days you have been on cover
  • An administration fee of £62.00

If you have paid for your policy in full and you are cancelling outside the 14 day cooling off period, unless a claim has occurred, you will pay for the for:

  • A minimum administration fee of £62.00
  • Short period cancellation rates as listed in the below table

Period you have had cover for Up to 1 month Up to 2 months Up to 3 months Up to 4 months Up to 6 months Up to 8 months Over 8 months
Refund amount expressed as a percentage of the annual premium 75% 62.5% 50% 37.5% 25% 12.5% Nil

To process your cancellation, you can do so by emailing our Customer Service Team on: info@mceinsurance.com. Please ensure you include your full name, postcode and policy reference.

How do I make a change to my policy?

To make a change to your policy we would need to speak to you to confirm your new details. Depending on the change you make to your policy, there will be an administration fee applicable of between £17.50 and £70.50.

You can speak to us by either arranging a call back by emailing our Customer Service Team on: info@mceinsurance.com or by calling: 01933 351 361. If you email your request please ensure you include your full name, postcode and policy reference.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 8:00pm, Saturday 9:00am to 5:00pm and Sunday from 10:00am to 4:00pm.

How do I renew my policy?

At MCE, we want to make renewing your policy as simple as possible for you. We are happy to provide the option to complete your quote online, it’s a great way to avoid call centre traffic during busy periods, with the same selection of benefits still on offer, courtesy of us! You will need to confirm your details again to ensure that everything is up to date, however we guarantee this will be our best available price.

I would like proof of my no claims discount, how can I get this?

We are sorry that you have decided not to reinsure with us again this year. If you would like to see what price we are able offer then you can do so by completing a quote on our website. Alternatively, if you would still like to receive proof of your no claims bonus then we can arrange for this to be emailed to you.

Please email our Customer Service Team on: info@mceinsurance.com along with your name, postcode and policy reference. We will then arrange for proof of your no claims bonus to be sent within 72 hours.

I’m planning to take my vehicle abroad, do I need to do anything?

Rest assured all our policies cover all European Union countries, Andorra, Gibraltar, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland for any trip that does not exceed 183 days (6 months) in any policy period. You will just need to take your policy documents with you to confirm cover whilst you are away.

Should you be travelling to any countries that are not listed above then you will need to arrange alternative insurance as we would not be able to cover these.

How do I change my payment dates?

If you have selected to pay for your policy via monthly payments, you will be paying for your policy via our continuous payment authority. This type of payment is taken from your debit or credit card, rather than a direct debit which is set up using your account number or sort code. Therefore, if your card is cancelled or expires we would need your new card details to be updated with us.

Currently we are unable to change payment dates on your payment plan however, if you are struggling to make your payments please contact our Customer Service Team on: 01933 351 361.

What you need to do if an incident has occurred (whether you want to make a claim or not)?

Here at MCE, we understand that no one sets out to make a claim on their insurance. However, sometimes unforeseen circumstances arise, and we want to make sure we can help you from the very earliest moment should you ever need us.

  • Contact our Customer Service team to report the incident on 01933 351361
  • Please ensure you have the following information:
    • the date, time and place of the incident
    • your registration number
    • details of any other vehicle involved
    • your name and address
  • You will need to tell us as much as you can about the circumstances of the incident.
  • Our Customer Service team will complete an Incident form over the phone with you.

Any claim made under your insurance cover will be investigated before agreeing settlement.

If you decide to continue to make a claim under your policy, we will require the following:

  • The vehicle registration document (V5)
  • The MOT certificate
  • All sets of keys
  • Details of any outstanding finance
  • Proof of NCB
  • Licences/CBT Certificates

The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) use two specialist motor trade guides called Glass’s and CAP to decide if an insurer’s bike valuation is fair. Information about the FOS’ process for valuing vehicles is published on their website: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/motor-valuation.html

For further information on the motor trade guides we use, and how they create their estimates can be found on their websites: http://www.glassbusiness.co.uk/products-and-services/car-repair-estimate/market-value-assessor/ https://www.cap-hpi.com/about

Why haven’t I received my documents?

Once you’ve taken your policy out or made a change to your policy, your documents will be uploaded to our document portal within 48 hours.

You can access the document portal on the following link: https://mceinsurance.opencustomerportal.co.uk/view/index.jsp

If you haven’t registered before you will need to click on the ‘not registered link’.

Once you have selected this, the below box will appear.

Once this has been filled in, you will receive an email containing a link to follow. This will take you to the document portal homepage. You will then need to enter your email address and password to access the portal.

You will then see the above screen. Here you will need to select to download your documents.

If you are unable to view your uploaded documents, please email our Customer Service Team on: info@mceinsurance.com and include a screen shot of the error, along with your name, postcode and policy reference.

Coronavirus FAQs

Why can't I get through to your call centre?

Waiting times are currently higher than usual but we will aim to answer your call as soon as we can. If you are struggling to get through we recommend using our live chat service. Policies can also be purchased quickly and easily on the website.

Are your phone lines open?

Yes, our phone lines are open although we are experiencing higher than usual numbers of calls so it may take longer to get through.

Can I still buy a policy online?

Yes you can get quotations and purchase insurance policies for your Motorbike, Car or Van.

My MoT expires soon. Can you still insure me?

MCE are following the governments guidelines in regards to Mots Gov.uk. The government has given a 6-month grace period for Mots expiring between 30th March and July 31st providing your vehicle remains in a roadworthy condition.

Can I travel to Europe?

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office Website is currently advising against all non-essential travel worldwide, we advise you check the current guidance (insert link). All MCE policies cover you to use your vehicle in Europe but local restrictions may affect our ability to collect your vehicle or the speed of settling a claim.

Is it possible to freeze/pause my MCE policy?

We aren't able to freeze/pause motor insurance policies. If a vehicle is declared off road through the DVLA SORN process, then any insurance cover in force will need to be cancelled.

Am I covered if I'm using my own vehicle for voluntary purposes to transport medicines or groceries to support others who are impacted by Covid-19?

No problem, as you're doing this as a volunteer MCE policies cover this.

Am I covered if I need to use my own vehicle to drive to different locations for work purposes because of the impact of Covid-19?

If you have to drive to your workplace because of Covid-19 your cover will still be valid and you don't need to contact us to update your policy.

My CBT expires soon and I can't get another one, can you still insure me?

For your policy to be valid, you must have an up to date CBT. There are currently no extensions available on live CBTs.

Will you be removing the default fee?

If you are unable to get to a bank due to isolation, MCE can take your payment over the phone. Providing that you make the payment on or before the due date of your monthly payment, there will be no additional fees charged.

Are you putting payment plans on hold?

We are unable to suspend payment plans in the same way that we are unable to suspend insurance cover. Our payment plans are designed to provide a flexible payment period whilst ensuring we collect the right premium for the insurance cover provided. Any delay of the plan may result in a shortfall of premium due to the underwriter and we are therefore unable to make changes.

Can we move the payment in to the free period?

We are unable to suspend payment plans in the same way that we are unable to suspend insurance cover. Our payment plans are designed to provide a flexible payment period whilst ensuring we collect the right premium for the insurance cover provided. Any delay of the plan may result in a shortfall of premium due to the underwriter and we are therefore unable to make changes.

If I need to cancel my policy because I can't make the payments will I get a refund?

You may receive a refund depending on how much you've paid and how long you've been on cover. Full details of cancellations and refunds are in your policy documents.

To reduce my costs can I amend my policy to fit my new requirements?

Coronavirus has changed many peoples circumstances and need for insurance cover. A reduction in cover, mileage or change of use may reduce your financial commitment. Because of Coronavirus we're helping our customers by reducing our rates for new policies and renewals so a mid term adjustment on your policy will also benefit from this. If the policy has been paid in full and you cancel you may also get a refund.

Are MCE still able to log and settle claims?

MCE are working hard to ensure that we are able to provide all services to our customers during these difficult times. Our claims teams have been reduced but we continue to operate in line with the advice received from the UK government.

Can I still use my roadside assistance?

Yes, your breakdown cover is operating as normal.

Will my claim still be settled?

Yes but it may take longer than normal as the insurance industry continues to recover from the disruption created by Covid-19.

MCE InsuranceCALL: 0800 338 68 88


Customer Service Enquiry

* Please provide these highlighted fields to make your enquiry as easy as possible to deal with.


Call: 01933 351361




MCE Insurance,
Sapphire House,
Crown Way,
NN10 6FB